Friday, March 7, 2008

And we are adding another one?!

I bet this has never happened to you:

First, let me say that Brother (2 years old) moved to his big boy bed about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I firmly believe that all children should stay in cribs until they are 13, but alas, he tore a huge hole in his crib tent (yes, he bagan crib jumping at about 14 months old) and launched himself out head first. So it was either paralysis or freedom . . . equally frightening for me, but in the end I think we made the right decision.

The transtion has been rocky. His room is now void of any belongings except his bed and he is finally sleeping again. In the process of his adjustment, we decided to turn his door knob around backwards so we could lock him in . . . I know some of you probably think that is mean, abusive or really just weird, but he kept wandering out when I didn't know it and one of his favorite things to do is open the front door and leave, so again, another tough decision . . . lock him or lose him. We locked him.

Ok, so last night before bed we are all together in Brother's room. We are happily reading Sesame Street books and staring in wonderment as Sister shows us her smarts . . . even Hamlet was there. Then we heard it . . . the click and the slam of a door. Yes, what you are thinking is what happened. Preston locked the door and the shut it . . . the only good thing (I think??) is that he stepped back into the room before he shut it so we were ALL locked in his room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our neighbors who have the key are in Wisconsin and John's cell phone had approximately 10 seconds of battery time left. And maybe you remember from my profile that my friends call me saftey queen????? So, usually there isn't an unlocked door around here, but for some reason, thank heavens, the front door was unlocked and another neighbor saved us. Needless to say, the moral of this story is that if you have to lock your crazy 2 year old in their room, please move that special little key to the inside of his room.

2 comments:

kelly bee said...

um...is it weird that ALL of that stuff has happened to me? my boys were crib jumpers...and we turned their knobs around, but we also put the little key in their rooms so i could get out.

i've been locked out of the house when the boys were inside though! that was fun...yelling through the door for them to unlock it.

happy that you're back and happy about the date!!! was just about to email stk to see what was up. hooray!

Fishy Busyness said...

OMG- that DID happen to us! We are knob turners too. One Fish had to climb out the window and go through the playroom to get us out. I certainly couldn't (wouldn't?) get my fat behind through that window. At least we know they can get out should there be a fire...
No crib jumping here.